he Company has commissioned 2 x 500 TPD Direct Reduced Iron (Sponge Iron) Rotary Kilns with a production capacity of 300,000 TPA at Kalinganagar Industrial Complex, Odisha, using the proven German SL/RN technology provided by Outotec Oyj (formerly Lurgi Metallurgie Gmbh).
Sponge Iron, also known as Direct Reduced Iron is produced from Hematite Iron ore (5 to 20 mm size) / Iron Oxide pellets (6 to 18 mm size) by removing the oxygen by direct reduction process using non coking coal as fuel and reducing agent in Rotary Kiln. Sponge iron is rich in Metallic Iron (Pure Iron) and consistent chemical & physical characteristics. This provides steel makers flexibility in preparing their furnace charge to produce finer quality steels than what is possible using steel scrap only. Most of the DRI produced at this plant is transferred to SMS for production of special steel and any surplus is sold to other steel makers.
Advantages of VISA Steel's Sponge Iron / DRI :
- High Fe Content and high degree of metallisation.
- Uniform and Consistent quality.
- Lower Sulphur & Phosphorus content.
- Negligible tramp elements.
- Minimum dust generation during handling.
- Good flow ability in bins and conveyors for continuous and trouble free charging.
- Superior Technical Support to Furnace operators.