Metso's high recovery flotation columns are establishing a new standard in flotation technology. For the last two decades, columns have proven their ability to produce higher concentrate grades compared with conventional mechanical flotation cells.
Flotation columns are suitable for:
- Improved recovery
- Optimized grade
- Increased throughput
- Enhanced bubble particle contact
- No plugging
- On-line replacement
- Reduced wear and maintenance.
- A unique sparger technology
Main features of Metso flotation columns are:
- Increased carrying capacity due to finer bubble sizes. This maximizes the bubble surface area flux which is a standard parameter in evaluating flotation device performance
- Maximum particle-bubble contacts within the static mixers
- Effective reagent activation from the mechanical operation of the pump
A preliminary indication of design parameters can be derived from the following notes:
- Column designs available up to 4 metre (39") diameter
- Typical slurry velocity in column 10 - 48 m/h (33 - 157 ft/h)
- Typical froth capacity 2-4 g/min/cm2
- Typical free air velocity in column 54 - 79 m/h (177 - 259 f/h)
- Height of column selected to give slurry retention time in range 10-20 min.
- Washwater approx. 7 m3/h per m2 (2740 ft3/h per ft2) of column area.